0412 014 217
During the nineteen hundreds and for more then 40 years thereafter, the land surrounding the creek and centuries of old oak trees was a popular picnic spot for local residents and visitors to the area.
One of the early owners was Martin Noske, who after many years sold the property in 1955 to Herbert Gustav Spiller and his wife Yohanna Klera Spiller in partnership with John Albert James Chambers and his wife Ann Elizabeth Ida Chambers.
In the six years they owned the property a re-subdivision was approved by the District Council of Mount Barker. A number of smaller buildings, large water tanks and water wells had been included on the property.
Today the only building remaining from the early 1950´s is Hahndorf House a solid brick residence build by Frederick Gerhard Ristau who lived in the house during the early sixties with his wife Ursula Louise Ottalie Ristau who sold the property and returned to Germany after Frederick´s death.
The property was purchased in 1071 by Leon George Monk, a carpenter, and his wife Joan and they build two rooms on to the Hahndorf house.
The property was then sold in 1976 to Bruno and Gertrude Andt. The creek was dug deeper and stone from the hills area was used to bank both sides of the properties.
Brian and Kalliopi Davenport purchased the property in 1980 and sold it within six months to a retired engineer, Robert William Ewen.
Robert Ewen sold the hahndoorf House to Andrew and Amanda Frish who were both very keen gardeners. The tranquil English garden was a feature of the property.
It was not until 1988 when the property was purchased by the late Rosslyn Selina Ingram that the true potential of the property was realised. She gave the contemporary style home the warm inviting character it now has. For some time a full time gardener was employed and the grounds were used for the occasional garden wedding which proved very popular with local and city people.
Rosslyn sold the property in 1995 to Margaret Ann Duffield and lived in Littlehampton until her untimely death in 1999.
The property was purchased by Ed and Marg Kowalewski in 1998. The property has had a number of uses over the past few years until the beginning of 2002 when it was totally renovated and refurbished.
Hahndorf House gets a complete makeover.
In 2005 two new residences were built on the property and today they are lovely, fully-self contained cottages.
The property was sold in 2007 to Damir Jelic, a very enthusiastic person, willing to work hard to make the facilities comfortable, warm and friendly for his Guests. Under the new management, Hahndorf House B&B has undergone a facelift. We now offer upgraded rooms and grounds and have introduced additional facilities and services.
Feel free to call us or drop us a line. We are looking forward to your stay with us.
|Phone||0412 014 217|
|International||+61 412 014 217|
|Address||27 Auricht Road, Hahndorf SA 5245, South Australia|
We are only 20 min from Adelaide
27 Auricht Road
Hahndorf SA 5245
Win a free stay competition
Follow us on Facebook for the latest news and promotions.
"Recommend" us to win a free stay. Every month we randomly draw a winner to stay in one of our houses.